- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
'Language varies according to the social context in which speakers find themselves - The same speaker uses different linguistic varieties in different situations and for different purposes'.
The first 200 words of this essay...
'Language varies according to the social context in which speakers find themselves. The same speaker uses different linguistic varieties in different situations and for different purposes'
Our use of language varies according to the situation in which we find ourselves. The term REGISTER is used to discuss the variety of language that we are required to use when in different situations.
REGISTER is discussed by considering these 3 concepts:
The term FIELD is used when discussing language that is connected to a particular activity or subject matter. Activities and subjects require particular 'field-specific vocabularies' to be used when they are being discussed e.g. Ballet - pirouette. Football - goal.
Tenor - FORMALITY
While the field relates to what language is about, TENOR refers to the social relationship between those who are communicating e.g. speech between individuals of 'unequal' rank is unlikely to be less relaxed and more formal, than speech between equals.
Things that can be said in different ways, give verbal expression to the same meaning. This can show the 'social relationship' between two people.
This refers to
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Language: Context, Genre & Frameworks (view all)
- Exams should be abolished speech
- Commentary for English Language AS. The article I chose to w...
- Using Effective Methods to Teach Grammar to the Adult ESL Le...
- A one to one interaction with an elderly woman Aunty Emily t...
- COMPARATIVE COMMENTARY -Malcolm Cowleys essay The View and ...
- Write a critical analysis of the text you have read. Isabel...
- Two texts that portray food to lack comfort and nourishment ...
- JFK Inaugural Address Analysis
- Reflect on some aspects of your own personal talk (idiolect)...
- Analyse the growth of linguistic development in children. T...
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.