- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Macbeth - Do the witches heighten the dramatic impact of the play?
The first 200 words of this essay...
MACBETH COURSEWORK 1
The inclusion of witches in Macbeth heightens the dramatic impact of the play because in the time William Shakespeare wrote Macbeth many of the general public did not know to much about witches, so when witches were included in Macbeth many people were shocked which made the play more dramatic because many people did not expect witches to be included in the play. Also witches in Shakespeare's time were treated very poorly In some cases witches were pricked with a special needle to see if they were immune from pain so these type of cases heighten the dramatic impact of the play because the general public knew how witches were treated and how powerful they were.
The introduction of witches at this time was particularly dramatic because people knew how vicious they were because at that time pamphlets were put on sale describing the lurid details of witchcraft trials, so people knew how vile witches were. This made it particularly dramatic because witches were really the centre of attention at that time as convicted witches were being executed so putting witches in a play would have been very dramatic. In the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Macbeth (view all)
- Villain or victim? Is Macbeth a victim of external circumsta...
- Macbeth was led down to an inescapable road of doom by an ou...
- It is not only the heros character that feeds into the const...
- What is the importance of the opening scene of Macbeth and t...
- Roman Polanski's Presentation of the Witches in Act 1, Scene...
- Examine Macbeth's mental deterioration throughout the play.
- The Importance of the Three Witches in Macbeth
- Macbeth as a Tragic Hero
- The relationship between Macbeth and Lady Macbeth and how it...
- To what extent can Lady Macbeth be seen as a female gothic p...
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.