- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Measure for Measure - 'It is comedy and trickery in the play that engages the audience', 'What intereststhe audience about the play is a serious chance to judge its characters'
The first 200 words of this essay...
"It is comedy and trickery in the play that engages the audience"
"What interests the audience about the play is a serious chance to judge its characters"
What evidence is there in the play to support both views?
What interests and engages you in the play?
There are many aspects of the play that engage and interest the audience, two main aspects being comedy and trickery. There are many characters in the play which contribute to the comedy and trickery which is abundant in the play; in particular Lucio is a character who is often seen as comical due to his lack of restraint in his speech and his ignorance of other characters. He is often associated with bawdy humour but is also associated with noblemen; which brings his character into debate. The main source of trickery which engages the audience is the 'bed trick' which is cunningly devised by the Duke, which again brings his and also Isabella's character into debate.
Lucio is one of the main sources of comedy in 'Measure for Measure', his humour and almost careless speech engages the audience which will result in the audience liking
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Measure for Measure (view all)
- Explore Shakespeare's portrayal of The Duke and Angelo and t...
- William Shakespeare - The Comedy of errors - Dromio conclude...
- Discuss Shakespeare's dramatic presentations of the Duke in ...
- 'A complex character deserving of sympathy'. To what extent ...
- Isabella defines Angelo as an arch-villain(TM). To what exte...
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.