• Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

Nature vs Nurture

Extracts from this document...

Introduction

Mayur Bedadala Ms. Blair Hon Sophomore Composition 17 October 2008 To begin with what is intelligence? As Merriam Webster dictionary states intelligence is "the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations". Some say its nature and some say its nurture. Who is right and who is wrong. From the past decades there is a raging debate going on whether intelligence is nature or nurture, but the results were always inconclusive or full of loopholes. There are many reasons that clearly prove that intelligence is genetic. In this essay the topic that I will be exploring are the differences in intelligence within different races and ethnic groups. Intelligence is clearly more affected by genetics than it is by environmental factors due to the results of twin studies between two different races. ...read more.

Middle

These scientists mostly relied on the information from the studies of people in different races that were adopted during birth or at a very young age. These results showed that the children had no resemblance what so ever to their adoptive parents. They have different tastes, different opinions and even have different point of views. Some people did show some of the characteristics that they got from their inherited parents but compared to the ones that did not it was nothing. In addition race differences appear by the age of 3, before even receiving any kind of education. This proves that IQ differences "cannot be due to poor education since this has not yet begun to exert an effect" (Rushton). ...read more.

Conclusion

As a result it makes sense to conclude that although environmental factors do affect a person's intelligence level these factors are still crushed by the genetic differences. These examples show that intelligence is affected by environmental factors. It's not incorrect but the environmental factors are overpowered by the genetic influences. In conclusion, I just want to state that intelligence between races is more affected by their genetic background than it is by environmental factors. During the past two decades scientists have discovered that there is a gene for almost every single human trait there is. Although intelligence is more affected by nature it is still safe to bet that it's a little affected by environmental factors. That is because many scientists believe that almost 80% of human intelligence is genetic, therefore the other 20% must be influenced by environment. ...read more.

The above preview is unformatted text

This student written piece of work is one of many that can be found in our AS and A Level Composition section.

Found what you're looking for?

  • Start learning 29% faster today
  • 150,000+ documents available
  • Just £6.99 a month

Not the one? Search for your essay title...
  • Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

See related essaysSee related essays

Related AS and A Level Composition essays

  1. Free essay

    Hamlet essay

    Perhaps the epitome of this is where he uses his powers as Monarch in order to get rid of Hamlet, because he feels that Hamlet is encroaching on his private business; "I like him not, nor stands it safe with us to let his madness range, therefore prepare you; I

  2. Rachel Ray Vs. Paula Dean

    All of the colors are a little distracting. The colors also clash, green and orange do not go well together, and neither does the brown counter tops. Modern kitchens do not look like this. Also her kitchen is really small, like she would not have room to move.

  1. The Cask or Amontillado VS. The Black Cat

    This means that Montressor is sick of Fortunato, and wants revenge because Fortunato goaded him. Montressor's motive for killing Fortunato was because he was insulted by him. The voice of the story makes the reader forgive Montressor for wanting to kill a person because he had a motive for doing so.

  2. The difference between a tabloid and broadsheet article

    The example of this is '"Black S***"' and '"F****** black"'. Journalese is used heavily throughout the article to add more drama to the story. Lexis such as 'twisted', 'taunted', 'stripped' and 'jeered' are examples of this feature. I would expect more examples of journalese to be present in a tabloid

  • Over 160,000 pieces
    of student written work
  • Annotated by
    experienced teachers
  • Ideas and feedback to
    improve your own work