- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Ophelia Is Possibly One Of The Most Fascinating Characters In Shakespeare's Plays And Has Been The Cause Of Much Debate Amongst Students Of Hamlet, Despite Appearing In Only A Few Scenes. Explore Some Of The Interpretations Of Her Functions.
The first 200 words of this essay...
"Ophelia Is Possibly One Of The Most Fascinating Characters In Shakespeare's Plays And Has Been The Cause Of Much Debate Amongst Students Of Hamlet, Despite Appearing In Only A Few Scenes.
Explore Some Of The Interpretations Of Her Function Within The Play."
In Shakespeare's Hamlet, the character of Ophelia has many different functions and, as such, can be perceived in many ways. She is not a prominent character like that of Hamlet or King Claudius, but she does serve an important part of the tragedy.
The obvious, and most controversial perception of Ophelia is to whether she is a sweet natured, young, naïve character or rather the opposite:
"Ophelia is in fact a flirt: a fast girl such as at Elizabeth's court was the rule..."
From an extensive study of the play and particularly of Ophelia, I have concluded that although Shakespeare's work should be interpreted on a personal level, I believe that Ophelia was the former, rather than the latter.
Firstly, it must be remembered that Shakespeare designed Ophelia to be young; in her late teens.
"Ophelia is plainly quite young and inexperienced."
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Hamlet (view all)
- How does Shakespeare present aspects of love in Hamlet?
- The Women in Hamlet are Weak and Morally Suspect: Discuss
- How does Shakespeare present the Theme of Revenge in "H...
- Hamlet- What is the dramatic significance of the nunnery sce...
- "In the play Hamlet, Ophelia and Gerturde are both vict...
- Hamlet's Procrastination : a Study on his Failure to Act
- An Analysis of Hamlets Philosophy of Life and Death in Willi...
- Show how Shakespeare presents a disordered and corrupt state...
- The tragedy of Hamlet is that as a character of an Elizabeth...
- Why does Hamlet still matter?
""Zoey. University Student.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.