- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Orsino is the romantic leading man in Twelfth Night, who is passionately sentimental suitor of his neighbour, Countess Olivia, however she does not return his love.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Orsino is the romantic leading man in Twelfth Night, who is passionately sentimental suitor of his neighbour, Countess Olivia, however she does not return his love. Orsino is moody and self obsessed; the famous speech with which he opens the play makes it clear that he is in love with love:
'If music be the food of love, play on,
Give me excess of it that, surfeiting,
The appetite may sicken and so die.
That strain again, it had a dying fall.
O, it came o'er my ear like the sweet sound
That breathes upon a bank of violets,
Stealing and giving odour. Enough, no more,
'tis not so sweet now as it was before.
O spirit of love, how quick and fresh art thou
That, notwithstanding thy capacity
Receiveth as the sea, naught enters there,
Of what validity and pitch so e'er,
But falls into abatement and low price
Even in a minute! So full of shapes is fancy
That it alone is high fantastical.'
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Twelfth Night (view all)
- Love as a Cause of Suffering - Twelfth Night is a romantic c...
- How does Shakespeare explore the theme of deception and self...
- The ways in which Shakespeare portrays the themes of love in...
- How Does Shakespeare Present Aspects of Folly in Twelfth Nig...
- Twelfth night - Analyse the different types of love introduc...
- The play Twelfth Night portrays a very good example of loyal...
- Compare and Contrast Viola and Sebastian from "Twelfth ...
- Fools and folly are widely used in comedy to create humour T...
- Twelfth Night. To what extent do Act 2 scene 5 and Act 3 sce...
- How does Malvolio connect to disguise and deceit in Act 2 Sc...
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.