- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Poetry Analysis of 'Night of the Scorpion' by Nissim Ezekiel, and 'Sacrifice' by TaufiqRafat.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Night of the Scorpion by Nissim Ezekiel
Sacrifice by Taufiq Rafat
"Night of the Scorpion" by Nissim Ezekiel is a poem about a child witnessing an event in his life. This was quite horrific, as vivid details of his mother being stung by a scorpion are portrayed in the poem.
On the other hand "Sacrifice" by Taufiq Rafat (1927-1998) portrays a sacrificial ceremony, in celebration of laying the foundation of a new dwelling. The purpose of this sacrifice is to give the dwelling good luck. "Sacrifice" is by an English-language Pakistani poet who is credited with introducing a characteristically Urdu movement into original English writing by Pakistanis.
The two poems are both similar in that they contain a lot of religious beliefs, but each is portraying a different religious background. They both use a circle as the symbolic gesture to their religions. In both poems a circle was created around the victims to make sure of no escape.
Within the poem "Night of the Scorpion", all families in the community are concerned about each other, as everybody goes to Ezekiel's house and takes part in the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Comparative Essays (view all)
- Compare the ways in which Larkin and Abse write about memory...
- Comparing Larkin and Abse
- Compare the two "Wuthering Heights" poems by Sylvi...
- Seamus Heaney - The Skunk analysis
- Duffy depicts women as victims in the worlds wife
- How is lost innocence portrayed By Duffy and Pugh?
- Compare Plath and Hughes treatment of death in their poetry....
- Compare the ways in which Plath and Hughes write about setti...
- Through the three texts La Belle Dame sans Merci, Lamia and ...
- Plath and Hughes wrote their last collections for different ...
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student