- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Poetry critical review of "The Victims"
The first 200 words of this essay...
Poetry and Poetics
November 1, 2004
In a society where divorce is common, some family members find it hard to cope with. In the first half of "The Victims," it sounds like a young child is telling the experience regarding her parents' divorce. "The Victims," by Sharon Olds, demonstrates the differences of tears, anger, and other emotions. By using different aspects of interpretation, mainly the use of language, tone, speaker, and some imagery was used in the poem to help the readers have an understanding of the sadness, anger, hope and despair suggested in the poem so that it could be observed through the usage of words.
The speaker in Sharon Olds's poem "The Victims" did not really designate who the speaker was; however since Sharon Olds wrote it maybe the speaker was she telling of her own life experiences. In several places within my essay I will refer to the speaker as "her" or "she" because I feel Sharon Olds telling this story in a poem. The speaker expresses much hate and anger towards her father. The speaker is describing to
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Carol Ann Duffy (view all)
- A Critical Analysis of Carol Ann Duffy's 'In Mrs Tilscher's ...
- Discuss 'Queen Kong' By Carol Ann Duffy
- Compare and contrast the poems Mrs Faust and Eurydice
- Valentine by Carol Ann Duffy is an irregular poem with a dir...
- In this collect Duffy shows no sympathy for men. How far do ...
- Compare the representation of relationships in the poems Tex...
- Light can take on many different forms, some more prominent ...
- Duffy has said that violence and evil arent owned by men. Ho...
- How does Duffy present personal experience of war in Passing...
- Carol Ann Duffy Shooting Stars Analysis
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Natalie. Criminology, Politics, Psychology and Economics. University Student.