- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Some researchers have argued that men and women have distinctive styles of conversation - How far do you agree with these claims?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Language and Gender
Essay Question: Some researchers have argued that men and women have distinctive styles of conversation. How far do you agree with these claims?
Many researchers have claimed that there are distinctive gender specific language features in conversation. A major supporter of this belief was Robin Lakoff, who devised what has since come to be called The Deficit Model, when comparing the two sexes. Her thesis stated there were many differences in conversational style one of which was the use of special lexicon by females. Lakoff believed that women, used subject specific language such as colour terms more frequently than men in everyday conversation. She said that they used empty adjectives such as cute and tag questions more regularly. Other language features females use more frequently according to Lakoff are intensifiers instead of absolute superlatives, hedges such as you know, superpolite forms, hypercorrection and indirect request forms e.g. Would you mind closing the door? According to her these differences show that women are disadvantaged when compared to males, due to their early sex role socialisation. Lakoff concluded that feminine linguistic features showed unassertiveness and lack of confidence.
For all of Lakoff's claims
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Language: Context, Genre & Frameworks (view all)
- Analyse and comment on the way your idiolect changes dependi...
- Language Aquisition Notes
- Commentary for English Language AS. The article I chose to w...
- Symbolism in The Kite Runner
- Write a detailed analyse of the transcript of conversation.
- Text Comparision - Food in "Oliver Twist" and Pete...
- Analysing the representation of speech: Texts A and B are bo...
- Write a critical analysis of the text you have read. Isabel...
- Two texts that portray food to lack comfort and nourishment ...
- JFK Inaugural Address Analysis
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.