- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The defeat of the Spanish Armada.
The first 200 words of this essay...
THE DEFEAT OF THE SPANISH ARMADA
The Spanish Armada was a powerful navy that attempted to enter England by force in 1588. This navy had been called previously "The Invincible Armada", because the Spaniards thought that it could not be defeated (The History of...). Philip II of Spain had many reasons to want to get rid of Queen Elizabeth. For a long time, English ships had been attacking Spanish treasure ships and raiding Spanish settlements in the Americas. Queen Elizabeth declined punishing the privateers and would not return the treasures that they had acquired. Another reason was the making of England an uncomfortable country for Catholics, since they could be fined or kept captive for not attending the Protestant Church. As she encouraged Protestant ideas, she was willing to fight against Catholic Spain. English troops had been fighting together with the Dutch rebels in their war opposing their Spanish rulers (Shenkman). The mentioned fleet was made up of 130 ships and 30,000 men, the majority of which were soldiers. On the other hand, the English carried no army at all, and only 16,000 sailors, along with long-range cannons on low quick ships to get manoeuvrability.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Language: Context, Genre & Frameworks (view all)
- "Words are more treacherous and powerful than we think&...
- Text transformation
- To what extent do symbolic representations such as language,...
- Irregularities - essay
- Rapport created in Chicago speech by Barack Obama
- Write a critical analysis of the text you have read. Isabel...
- Two texts that portray food to lack comfort and nourishment ...
- JFK Inaugural Address Analysis
- Reflect on some aspects of your own personal talk (idiolect)...
- Analyse the growth of linguistic development in children. T...
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.