- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The Mayor of Casterbridge - Chapter Summaries
- Essay length: 21962 words
- Submitted: 18/03/2005
The first 200 words of this essay...
The novel opens in the early part of the nineteenth century. One summer evening, a young family is walking towards the village of Weydon-Priors, in the region of England known as Wessex. From the beginning, it is obvious that something is strange about this family. Although the man, woman, and child are not poorly dressed, the dirt that has collected on them during their journey makes them look shabby. In addition, the man and woman do not regard each other at all, even though they are clearly traveling together.
Eventually the family stops to rest. While they rest, a turnip-hoer speaks to them. From him, the family learns that there is no work and no housing available in Weydon-Priors; however, since it is Fair Day, there is some excitement in the village. The family goes to the fair-field, but ignores all the goings-on in favor of finding food. They decided to stop in a furmity tent, a place where they can buy some pudding. The man demands some liquor for his furmity, and drinks it lustily, ignoring his wife's pleas for lodging. Soon the man, who has been called Michael, complains loudly
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Jane Austen (view all)
- Plot-Construction of Pride and Prejudice
- Call of the Wild Essay: Imagery
- Importance of Marriage in Pride and Prejudice
- In the poem, Passed On written by Carole Satymurti, the poet...
- Compare and contrast Hester Prynne (The scarlet letter) and ...
- Explore how the theme of marriage is presented in 'Pride and...
- Jane Austens Northanger Abbey depicts and enriches her reade...
- Women suffer as a result of being misjudged by men in both m...
- The presentation of speech and thought in Pride and Prejudic...
- Timeless Love in 'Pride and Prejudice'.
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.