- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
`The rarer action is in virtue rather than in vengeance` How far do these extracts show that forgiveness is a greater victory for Prospero than vengeance
The first 200 words of this essay...
`The rarer action is in Virtue rather than in Vengeance`
How far do these extracts show that Forgiveness is a greater victory for Prospero then Vengeance?
In Act I Scene II, Prospero is all set on getting revenge on his enemies; however in Act V Scene I, Ariel manages to make Prospero feel more sympathetic towards them and by the end of the play Prospero forgives them.
In Act 1 Scene 2, just after Ariel described to Prospero how he created the tempest, Prospero asks him, `My brave spirit, / Who was so firm, so constant that this coil / Would not infect his reason? `. Prospero is basically asking `Was anyone on the ship he is so keen on getting his revenge against his enemies.
In contrast in Act 5 Scene 1 Prospero shows affectionateness when Ariel tells him how much they are suffering and he manages to forgive them.
Right at the beginning of Act 5 Scene 1, Prospero starts off by saying, ` Now does my project gather to a head. / My charms crack not, my spirits obey; and time / Goes upright with his carriage. How's the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
The Tempest (view all)
- Nature vs. Art in The Tempest
- Explore the themes of Imprisonment, Freedom and Authority in...
- How does Shakespeare present Prospero's relationship with Ar...
- Explore the roles of Ariel and Caliban in The Tempest.
- How does Shakespeare present Caliban in TheTempest ?
- In "Titus Andronicus", William Shakespeare has use...
- AQA ENGLISH LITERATURE B AS LEVEL recreative coursework on T...
- European sense of superiority goes along with the ill attitu...
- The Tempest raises questions that were just beginning to be ...
- In this essay, I will be comparing the soliloquies and aside...
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.