- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
A captain, boatswain and sailors are trying to save their ship from a terrible storm. A number of noblemen shout at them: Antonio and Sebastian swear at them but Gonzalo is cheerful. The ship appears to be sinking, and those on board prepare for the worst
We are surprised to learn from Miranda, that her father, Prospero, is responsible for the storm. He says he has important information which he has never told her till now. Twelve years ago he was not a poor man living on an island, but the Duke of Milan, and Miranda was a princess. Because he loved to study, he spent all of his time in his library, trusting his brother, Antonio, to rule as his deputy. Treacherously, Antonio plotted against him, with help from Alonso, the powerful King of Naples. One night, Prospero and Miranda were seized, taken out to sea, and set adrift in an open boat. Gonzalo, a servant of Alonso, was in charge of the operation, but made sure that the boat contained food, drink and Prospero's magic books.
On the island he found Ariel, an airy spirit, imprisoned in a tree, where
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
The Tempest (view all)
- Form, Structure and Language are used to convey the theme of...
- Analysis of the tempest.
- Explore the roles of Ariel and Caliban in The Tempest.
- The Tempest.
- Nature vs. Art in The Tempest
- European sense of superiority goes along with the ill attitu...
- The Tempest raises questions that were just beginning to be ...
- In this essay, I will be comparing the soliloquies and aside...
- Exploring the theme of enslavement in The Tempest
- Caliban characterisation - The Tempest
""Zoey. University Student.
""Zoia, London. GCSE Student. 'English, Science, RE, Geography, History.'