- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
What similarities can you find between Cormac McCarthys The Road and John Steinbecks Grapes of Wrath?
The first 200 words of this essay...
What similarities can you find between Cormac McCarthy's The Road and John Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath?
The opening of The Road immediately captures the dark mood of the novel. "Nights dark beyond darkness and days more gray each one than what had gone before." This sentence suggests the desolation of the world. Grapes of Wrath similarly starts off with the author describing in vivid detail the setting of the novel. He emphasises the importance of nature and how it can affect the lives of people and force them to become helpless victims.
Both authors use compound sentences linked by the coordinating conjunction 'and' to create a deliberately flat style and one reflecting the bleak world the characters find themselves in. Moreover both authors create a foreboding atmosphere by using very desolate phrases to describe the surroundings. For example
Another similarity in both novels is the use of pathetic fallacy. There is lots of visual imagery being used in the opening of both novels. Another literary device used is personification. Steinbeck writes "the last rains falls on the "scarred earth". Moreover there are lots of similes being used by both writers. For example McCarthy writes "the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Other Criticism & Comparison (view all)
- Innocence and Experience in "Atonement" and "...
- Unity of Effect in Cask of Amontillado
- Priscilla and Wimps
- comparsion of jane eyre and wuthering heights
- Scottish Independence-Discursive Essay
- Compare and contrast American playwrights presentation of ma...
- How the gothic motif of good vs evil is presented in Franken...
- Discuss the significance of endings in The Great Gatsby The ...
- Discuss the importance of setting in The Great Gatsby, The K...
- Write about the significance of protagonists in The Great Ga...
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.