- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Why does Hamlet delay in avenging his father's death?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Why does Hamlet delay in avenging his father's death? George Harisis.
The tragic play 'Hamlet' by William Shakespeare, tells the story of the enigmatic Prince Hamlet who is set the task of avenging the murder of his father at the hand of his uncle, King Claudius. Though it is clear that Hamlet harbours deep resentment towards his uncle and is eventually certain of his mission, Hamlet is seen to consistently delay in completing his task for various reasons. Whether it is because Hamlet is a fundamentally pensive character who always thinks before he acts or because he is crippled by his intelligence and moral scruples, it can be argued that Hamlet's prolonged tarry results in his eventual destruction.
Near the beginning of the play, Hamlet is confronted by an apparition who claims to be the ghost of his dead father, the old King. The sprit explains the details by which Claudius murdered him and how it is now in purgatory until its death is avenged and old Hamlet's honour is restored. However, having been set the task of killing the new king, Hamlet is unsure whether the ghost is in fact the spirit of his dead father
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Hamlet (view all)
- Higher English 2003 - Hamlet - Turning Point in Drama
- How does Shakespeare present ideas of disorder, corruption a...
- Explore how Shakespeare examines the theme of revenge in Ham...
- Is Hamlet's madness feigned or real?
- Hamlet has been viewed as a "power struggle" for p...
- Hamlet's Procrastination : a Study on his Failure to Act
- An Analysis of Hamlets Philosophy of Life and Death in Willi...
- Show how Shakespeare presents a disordered and corrupt state...
- The tragedy of Hamlet is that as a character of an Elizabeth...
- Why does Hamlet still matter?
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.