- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Nothing Gold Can Stay
The first 200 words of this essay...
Nothing Gold Can Stay by Robert Frost
Nothing Gold Can Stay is an intelligent poem written by American poet Robert Frost. This poem, full of metaphors, teaches us about both life and nature. It relays truths about how they both parallel each other in their ability to be tainted by grief.
In the first line, using metonymy, Frost makes reference to birth in nature, 'Nature's first green is gold' (Line 1). Birth in nature is most evident in the spring with the colour green, which represents fertility and youth, appearing. This green that is, in fact, gold means that birth in nature is rich, abundant, and beautiful, just like the actual metal. The line 'Her hardest hue to hold' is a personification of nature as a female figure, parallel to a human mother, who struggles to cling to that 'golden stage' of beauty and perfect innocence her offspring hold for 'only so an hour'. With a sense of melancholic inevitability, Frost states that this 'golden stage' will be tainted by grief. Using literary allusion, Frost refers to Eden, which 'sank to grief' (Line 6), as a symbol of original sin, to further instill the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
General Studies (view all)
- Should Cannabis be legalised in the UK?
- This assignment will demonstrate a written reflective accoun...
- The internet should be implemented into all educational sect...
- English School Uniform Essay
- Report: Charity Event for Cancer Research UK
- Which diseases are more prevalent in your country and what c...
- Should the Death penalty be re-introduced?
- Pro Speech- Capital Punishment
- Discuss the statement " Art changes the world as much a...
- Should scientific research be restricted in any way?
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.