- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Oxford English Dictionary defines the word "revolution" as "any fundamental change or reversal of conditions". In the context of British Agriculture between 1750 and 1815 there was a change but it was slow and really a continuation of improvements which go back much further. To call these changes "revolutionary" is probably misguided. However, there was a gradual dissemination of new ideas and methods. The factors which brought about the greatest changes in the existing system were the adoption of new farming techniques, machines and methods and the enclosure of open fields.
New farming techniques consisted of improvements in crop rotation, soil fertilisation, and selective breeding allied with the development of new machinery. Four names are commonly associated with these innovations; Jethro Tull (1674-1741) is best remembered for the invention of the seed drill which planted in rows rather than broadcasting, thus allowing hoeing between the rows. (Tull's book "Horse-Hoeing Husbandry was published in 1733.) Charles Townshend (1674-1738) introduced marl - a mixture of clay and lime - to his sandy Norfolk estates. He advocated the use of turnips as fodder as an addition to traditional rotational crops. Robert Bakewell (1725-1795) pioneered selective breeding and
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Production - Location & Change (view all)
- A robot is an intelligent and obedient, but impersonal machi...
- Describe what is meant by Industry
- There are three different sectors within business. They are:...
- Communist Russia under Stalin, 1928 - 1939.
- This project is about the farming in the Bahamas. Areas we a...
- With reference to located examples, explain how the exploita...
- with reference to 2 contrasting countries describe and expla...
- This essay is going to reflect changes on what I remember of...
- Case Study of Rural Rebranding by the Forestry Commission in...
- Oil and Gas industry in Kazakhstan
""Simon. Politics and International Relations. University Student.
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.