• Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

Britain 1750-1900 - What changed?

Extracts from this document...

Introduction

Britain 1750-1900. What Changed? 1. a) Of the six categories the ones that saw most change are: Population because in 1750 the population was 11 million. 80 percent lived in the countryside and the other 20 percent lived in the urban areas. By 1900 the population was 40 million and 75 percent lived in the towns and the rest (25 percent) lived in the countryside. Transport because in 1750 you could only get on one canal and the roads being improved by turnpike trusts. In 1900 you could get on a train from anywhere to anywhere in the country you could get in a car bikes were common but the turnpike trusts and canal companies were out of business. ...read more.

Middle

The use of coal was times by three. And farming had new types. By 1900 farmers used machines. Coal, iron, steel and textiles have taken over. Steam is used all over and a lot more work all round. b) Between 1750 and 1900 of the six categories the one that changed the slowest was politics because it took over one hundred years just for most of the men to be able to vote. It took along time for the government to take control and start making living and working conditions better and finally it took a long time for them to let MP's from all around the country come to parliament. ...read more.

Conclusion

The part of Britain that changed least between 1750 and 1900 was the countryside because all the people moved away. With less people less things happened especially work because the country stayed in the past with farming. And transport there was hardly any roads. 5. The one thing that improved people's lives was councils making water cleaner and improving public hygiene because people were dying easily and then because of this people lived longer. The one thing that didn't improve people's lives was the invention of the steam engine because and the car because they pollute the air and gave people breathing problems and which have started the destruction of our planet which nobody knew about that back then. Mark Agar History 17/4/02 8MN Homework 1 ...read more.

The above preview is unformatted text

This student written piece of work is one of many that can be found in our AS and A Level Population & Settlement section.

Found what you're looking for?

  • Start learning 29% faster today
  • 150,000+ documents available
  • Just £6.99 a month

Not the one? Search for your essay title...
  • Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

See related essaysSee related essays

Related AS and A Level Population & Settlement essays

  1. Marked by a teacher

    Britain between 1750-1900

    4 star(s)

    So many were crowded into towns like Leeds or Glasgow, which meant that killer diseases such as cholera, typhoid and tuberculosis spread rapidly because of infected water, dirty living conditions and poor diet. Now in 1900 a lot had changed.

  2. How should we nowadays understand the Anglo-Saxon 'Invasions' of lowland Britain?

    Nevertheless, the evidence of place-names does favour the continued existence of some settlements: Gelling points out that many Anglo-Saxon place names contain elements like wic (from vicus, an administrative centre), ecles (implying the existence of a church), camp (from campus, a field), funta (suggesting the presence of a spring)

  • Over 160,000 pieces
    of student written work
  • Annotated by
    experienced teachers
  • Ideas and feedback to
    improve your own work