- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Can sustainable development be achieved in cold environments? Discuss.
Not what you were searching for?
The first 200 words of this essay...
'Cold environments may be developed in a sustainable manner'
To what extent do you agree with this statement?
According to the Brundtland Commission sustainable development is 'development which can be sustained in the long term. It is the utilization and development of natural resources in ways which are compatible with the maintenance of these resources, and with the conservation of the environment, for future generations.'
The Arctic is not just an environment, it is home to almost four million people, including more than numerous different groups of indigenous peoples. Tundra is the coldest of all the biomes with a local climate in which at least one month has an average temperature high enough to melt snow (0°C or 32°F), but no month with an average temperature in excess of (10°C/50°F).. It is noted for its frost-moulded landscapes, little precipitation, poor nutrients, and short growing seasons. Most of its stored energy is in the form of dead organic matter (meaning it has a small biomass compared to other biomes). Furthermore, because of its harsh climate, there are large population oscillations, because of constant immigration and emigration. This is why any type of development in these environments
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Environmental Management (view all)
- Positive and negative effects of the Three Gorges dam projec...
- The impact of human activities on the environment
- Environmental Pollution Faced In Malaysia
- The growth in international tourism is providing many LEDCs ...
- Man's influence on the environment.
- I am researching about four organisations energy policies wh...
- With reference to transport management in urban areas, discu...
- What Is Hydroelectricity? What are the Pros and Cons?
- (1a) Explain the classification of the selected energy resou...
- To what extent has the Three Gorges Dam project, in China, b...
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.