- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
"Can the theories that Alfred D. Chandler developed in his book 'Scale and Scope: The dynamics of industrial capitalism' be applied to patterns of economic growth in the second half of the 20th century?"
- Essay length: 5851 words
- Submitted: 09/02/2005
The first 200 words of this essay...
TABLE OF CONTENTS
1. Introduction 1
2. Chandler's theory 1
3. Methodology and selection of study objects 3
4. Description of developments 4
Country level 4
Industry level 5
Firm level 6
5. Compare these patterns to Chandler's predictions 6
Country level 6
Industry and firm level 8
6. Future growth industries 9
7. Conclusion 10
Reference List 11
Appendix A - 900 largest German firms 12
Appendix B - Growth industries in the USA 16
Appendix C - selected GDPs in 1950 17
"Scale and Scope: The dynamics of industrial capitalism" (henceforth Scale and Scope) by Alfred D. Chandler (1990) is one of the central books in economic history. Like only few books, it explains many economic developments in the period from the 1880s until deep into the 20th century. By focusing on this period, the period of the so-called second industrial revolution, Chandler investigates a period with immense changes in business and economic environment. Therefore, even though the period is time wise relatively narrow, it still provides enough evidence to develop strong theories. The book develops theories that
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Production - Location & Change (view all)
- Why did Agriculture not share in the ‘boom’...
- What are the main characteristics of high-tech (high technol...
- A robot is an intelligent and obedient, but impersonal machi...
- What is meant by the terms core and periphery?
- There are three different sectors within business. They are:...
- With reference to located examples, explain how the exploita...
- with reference to 2 contrasting countries describe and expla...
- This essay is going to reflect changes on what I remember of...
- Case Study of Rural Rebranding by the Forestry Commission in...
- Oil and Gas industry in Kazakhstan
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.