- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Case Study on The Three Gorges Dam in China
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Three Gorges Dam
Chris Stanley 11IRW
Candidate Number 2527
25th January 2007
The Three Gorges Dam project, presently being built on the Chinese River Yangtze and it is know to be the world's largest dam and one of the most controversial public works of modern times. The proposed 2.3km long by 185m tall, concrete hydroelectric dam is to cross the river around 400km west of the city of Wuhan. The dam will create a huge reservoir behind it 660km long stretching within the three gorges behind it and allow for the regulation of water west of the Dam. The Three Gorges Project is speculated to be completed by 2008, one year ahead of previous predicted schedule.
Map of the River Yangtze
Damming the Yangtze River was first proposed in 1919 by the founder of the Republic of China in order to protect the river communities from the erratic flooding caused by the river that caused a huge amount of destruction and death; however the poor economic state of the country at the time delayed the process. A later communist leader
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Hydrology & Fluvial Geomorphology (view all)
- Loughton Brook River Studies - Epping Forest
- The Drainage Basin - Bangladesh
- Flooding Case Study: LEDC - Bangladesh.
- Compare the impact and responses to a major flood in an MEDC...
- River Tees Drainage Baisin
- To what extent should cold environments to be considered as ...
- List of River Valley Projects in India.
- Compare and comment on the flood management approaches in tw...
- Discus to the extent to which you believe Carlisle floods 20...
- Assess the costs and benefits of one river management scheme...
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.