- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Chemistry of Photography.
- Essay length: 4548 words
- Submitted: 05/01/2004
The first 200 words of this essay...
Chemistry of Photography
While it is easy to make comparisons between the pupil of the eye and the f-stop of a camera or between the retina of the eye and photographic film, once we get past the basic similarities of the optics of the two systems, comparisons begin to rapidly break down. The eye is not only much more complex than a camera and its film, but the two imaging devices function by different chemical mechanisms. The photographer (or the automatic exposure system of the camera) regulates the f-stop opening and time of exposure of her camera to match the sensitivity of film, while the iris and retina sensitivity of the eye adjust to correspond to the light level of the scene.
While science is slowly putting together the pieces to explain the functioning of our vision system, the basic nuts and bolts of classical photography have been known for years, although certain details remain the subject of some discussion. Just as in the human eye, classical photographic systems are composed of two separate, but interrelated processes - the basic black and white image structure and the finer points of color reproduction.
This first installment
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Environmental Management (view all)
- Coastal Management strategies need to consider not only phys...
- The impact of human activities on the environment
- Water Crisis in Pakistan, its Impact on the Economy and Pote...
- With reference to either Waste management in urban areas or ...
- A2 Model Answer :
- I am researching about four organisations energy policies wh...
- With reference to transport management in urban areas, discu...
- What Is Hydroelectricity? What are the Pros and Cons?
- (1a) Explain the classification of the selected energy resou...
- To what extent has the Three Gorges Dam project, in China, b...
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.