- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Explain threats to biodiversity
The first 200 words of this essay...
With reference to named examples, describe and explain the threats to biodiversity in coral ecosystems.
Coral reefs include some of the most biologically rich ecosystems and are home to over 25% of all known marine fish, despite only occupying 0.18% of the world's marine environments. Coral reefs are useful to us in various ways. A few being that the reefs are good sources of medicine, provide 25% of commercial fish catch and provide ideal habitats for education and scientific research. However the coral reefs are under threat for a number of reasons.
These valuable ecosystems are degrading fast under the pressure of many human activities. For example Coastal development, sedimentation, overfishing, global warming, and marine pollution each pose a threat to coral reefs.
One threat to the Coral Reefs is Overfishing. Fisheries in the Caribbean are often open access with few regulations and the location and distribution of the fish can be highly predictable. This means that the Caribbean Coral reefs are particularly at risk to overfishing. Especially in parts of the Eastern Caribbean as there is often more fisheries competing in a larger area. The traps and fishing line used by
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Production - Location & Change (view all)
- Why did Mao begin the great leap forward in 1958?
- The De-industrialisation and Regeneration of the Merseyside ...
- The Multiplier effect explained and with examples.
- The Cause of the Industrial Revolution
- Is deindustrialisation in the U.K an undesirable process?
- With reference to located examples, explain how the exploita...
- with reference to 2 contrasting countries describe and expla...
- This essay is going to reflect changes on what I remember of...
- Case Study of Rural Rebranding by the Forestry Commission in...
- Oil and Gas industry in Kazakhstan
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.