- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Factors Influencing Location.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Human Geography and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Factors Influencing Location
Sometimes firms have to decide where to build a new factory. It is important to consider the different costs of different locations. Businessmen take into account the natural and acquired advantages of a particular area.
* An area may have a water source for waste disposal or cooling.
* An area may be flat or isolated and attract dangerous or unpleasant industries.
* An area may have the right climate for the production of a good.
* Weight-losing industries use bulky raw materials to produce a compact finished product and tend to locate near the source of raw materials.
An area may have developed a number of advantages as the result of firms locating in the region. These are called external economies of scale.
Weight-gaining industries use compact raw materials to produce a bulky finished product and tend to locate near the major market for the good.
A footloose industry gains no particular advantage from any one location usually because transport costs are the same for each site.
Industrial inertia occurs when a firm
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Production - Location & Change (view all)
- The Scott Report and the Making of the Modern Countryside - ...
- Describe what is meant by Industry
- What is meant by the terms core and periphery?
- Explain threats to biodiversity
- There are three different sectors within business. They are:...
- With reference to located examples, explain how the exploita...
- with reference to 2 contrasting countries describe and expla...
- This essay is going to reflect changes on what I remember of...
- Case Study of Rural Rebranding by the Forestry Commission in...
- Oil and Gas industry in Kazakhstan
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Asmaa, UAE. GCSE Student. Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Maths and English.