- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Functions of settlements - Differences between urban and rural settlement.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Functions of Settlements
As early settlements grew in size, each one tended to develop a specific function or Functions. The function of a town relates to its economic and social development and refers to its main activities. There are problems in defining and determining a town's main function and often, due to a lack of data such as employment and/or income Figures, subjective decisions have to be made. As settlements are very diverse, it helps to try to group together those with a similar function. Over the years, numerous attempts have been made to classify settlements based on function, but these tended to refer to places in industrialized countries and are no longer applicable to post-industrial societies.
Further problems arose when the growth of some settlements was based upon an activity which no longer exists, or where the original function has changed over time. Functions may also differ between continents - i.e. there is also a difference over space. Finally it should be realized that today, and especially in the more developed countries, towns and cities are multifunctional - even if one or two functions tend to be predominant.
Differences between urban and
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Population & Settlement (view all)
- Urban problems of London.
- Factors affecting rates of population change across the worl...
- For my Travel and Tourism coursework I have chosen Marbella ...
- The Demographic Transition Model.
- Outline and Evaluate Hardin's 'Lifeboat Ethics'.
- Discuss the economic, social and political implications of t...
- To what extent do you agree with the statement: Decentralisa...
- Using examples, explain the challenges of rapid mega city gr...
- Evaluating China's One Child Policy
- Evaluate the success of one Urban Regeneration scheme or pol...
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.