- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
How Deprivation Affects Birmingham and Dhaka
The first 200 words of this essay...
Case Study 2 - Birmingham & Dhaka
1. Why Does Socioeconomic Deprivation Occur And What Are The Characteristics?
- Birmingham is the third largest city in the UK and was the first industrial city in the world
- Over the last century, there has been a rapid shift in manufacturing to new industries
- Today nearly 80% of Birmingham's economy consists of banking, finance, tourism and insurance
- This re-imaging has come with good planning and generous financial contributions
- However, this has not prevented urban deprivation occurring in Birmingham
- Many of the high-skilled jobs have gone to commuters in the surrounding West Midlands
- This means that high rates of unemployment have existed in the inner city areas
- Many residents feel disaffected and polarisation begins to occur
- A principal reason is the ongoing restructuring of the economy
- The decline of manufacturing lead to a loss of relatively secure, well-paid jobs
- Many of the high skilled jobs have gone to commuters in the surrounding West Midlands
- This has created a disparity between the classes and a loss of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Population & Settlement (view all)
- Problems In Tokyo.
- Comparison Between MEDC and LEDC
- Analyse the economic, environmental, social and demographic ...
- With reference to examples, discuss the overall effectivenes...
- Functions of settlements - Differences between urban and rur...
- With reference to one or more located examples, examine how ...
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of studentificatio...
- Describe the fieldwork and research you would undertake in o...
- Analysis of Chinas One Child Policy
- Explain why student ghettos develop in some urban areas
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.