- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
The rise of mechanical power and the capitalistic factory system occurring in the towns replacing the more traditional rural farm work and cottage industries, especially in England from roughly 1770s to 1830s. Sometimes called the English Revolution - to associate the social change it incurred with the French Revolution and American Revolution. However unlike the other two revolutions it was not always beneficial. Engels first used the term in 1844. Before the Industrial Revolution most of the Working Class lived in the country as farm labourers. In off-seasons some turned to nail making, weaving, and other product-making jobs to supplement their farm wages. This work was usually done in the living room of their cottages - in between growing their own food and attending to other family responsibilities. Once they had finished a product they then had to hawk it around the countryside looking for a buyer. Husbands, wives and children all worked from dawn to dusk at these tasks. Whenever they could afford to they would take holiday from this monotonous, energy-sapping and hazardous work. Injuries and permanent deformities were common. With the improvement of steam power and machines Capitalists built factories to concentrate the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Production - Location & Change (view all)
- There are three different sectors within business. They are:...
- Why did Mao begin the great leap forward in 1958?
- Describe what is meant by Industry
- A robot is an intelligent and obedient, but impersonal machi...
- Arthur Lewis's dual-sector model of development.
- With reference to located examples, explain how the exploita...
- with reference to 2 contrasting countries describe and expla...
- This essay is going to reflect changes on what I remember of...
- Case Study of Rural Rebranding by the Forestry Commission in...
- Oil and Gas industry in Kazakhstan
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.