- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Management of mass movements : Managing landslide hazards
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Physical Geography and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
Management of mass movements
Managing landslide hazards
1. Modifying the event
Slope stability can be increased by a variety of engineering techniques, which although expensive, enable control of land sliding to be largely successful. There are 2 key issues with this approach to landslide hazard management: cost and responsibility. Government funding may be available for emergency stabilization. However, building codes can enforce some user if these techniques by private developers.
2. Modify vulnerability
Most mass movements are not very rapid and thus forecasting, warning and evacuation are possible techniques. Community preparedness can be used if people are aware of the early signs of mass movement such as bulging walls, tension cracks, tilted poles and fences and new areas of waterlogged ground.
Hazard mapping is increasingly being used especially in MEDC's, as the factors that favour land sliding can be assessed to produce a hazard map. Landslide hazard assessment maps are ways of predicting the landslide threat using the factors, which influence slope stability. However, forecasting the magnitude and frequency of events is not possible. There may be problems in this approach in already developed areas, where a high hazard rating may reduce
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Hazardous Environments (view all)
- Discuss the degree to which the theory of plate tectonics is...
- Disaster Hotspot. The Philippines is considered a disaster h...
- Describe and explain the global distribution of volcanoes an...
- Bangladesh Flooding 2004 Essay/ Case Study
- Describe the global distribution of earthquakes.
- 'The hazards presented by volcanic and seismic events have t...
- Evaluate how plate tectonics theory helps our understanding ...
- Explain why tectonic processes produce a variety of contrast...
- The Human Impacts of Tectonic Landforms & Hazards
- Tectonic Activity - A general introduction
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.