• Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month

Rwanda Case Study

Extracts from this document...

Introduction

Blood, dead bodies, war, starvation and overall tragicness were a few aspects of the terrible genocide that occurred in Rwanda in 1994. These things caused the majority of the population to leave Rwanda and seek refuge in the neighboring countries such as Zaire, Burundi, Tanzania and Uganda. The genocide in the tiny Central African country of Rwanda was one of the most intensive killing campaigns in human history. It all began due to the rivalry between two groups called the Hutus which 90% of the population belonged to and the Tutsis, occupying the remainder 10%. In the past, the Tutsi minority was considered the upper class of Rwanda and dominated Hutu peasants for decades, especially while Rwanda was under Belgian colonial rule. ...read more.

Middle

That was the last we saw of him." Unfortunately, the situation got worse, as the Tutsi Rwandan Patriotic Front (RPF) grew angrier causing them to retaliate. This terrible civil war led two million Hutu refugees, most of who participated in the genocide and feared Tutsi retribution to flee Rwanda and migrate into the bordering countries such as Zaire, Burundi, Tanzania and Uganda. They wanted to escape the slaughter and leave behind all the violence, starvation and suffering in their country and search for safety for themselves and their families (mainly young children). People took tractors, vans and even walked just so they could escape the lives of fear and distress they had in Rwanda. ...read more.

Conclusion

The number of animals in the area declined as they were the only source of food for the people. Animals such as gorillas, snakes and birds were all eaten. It was not until July when the Tutsi rebels defeated the Hutu regime and also with the help of the UN troops that arrived in Rwanda, the genocide came to an end. It is estimated that 800,000 people (over one-tenth of the population) were killed between April and mid-July, 100 days after it started. Ultimately many of who lost loved ones are still waiting for justice. The killing in Rwanda was vicious, relentless and incredibly brutal. Nonetheless it was a lesson to be learnt for the rest of the World as they should have responded more quickly to the disaster in order to have prevented numerous deaths. ...read more.

The above preview is unformatted text

This student written piece of work is one of many that can be found in our AS and A Level Population & Settlement section.

Found what you're looking for?

  • Start learning 29% faster today
  • 150,000+ documents available
  • Just £6.99 a month

Not the one? Search for your essay title...
  • Join over 1.2 million students every month
  • Accelerate your learning by 29%
  • Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
  • Over 160,000 pieces
    of student written work
  • Annotated by
    experienced teachers
  • Ideas and feedback to
    improve your own work