- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Tess of the D'Urbevilles - social context
The first 200 words of this essay...
TESS OF THE D'URBEVILLES
Britain has quickly developed into an industrialised nation from 1750 to 1900. Factors which contributed to this chance include the massive increase in mechanisation. Inventions of new machines and methods of powering them encouraged the growth of industries. This includes the discovery of steam power. The rapid developments in machinery, thus significantly increased the demand for coal and agriculture which also improved.
The discovery of steam power was extremely important in the industrialisation in Britain. First invented in 1698, the steam engine has grown more powerful over time. By 1881 there were over 100,000 steam engines in Britain. The impact of the steam engines was enormous, and was heavily used in the following:
* Mining- Steam engines were used as pumps in coal mines, so deeper mines were possible.
* Transport- Steam engines drove locomotives which transported fuel.
* Factories- Steam engines drove machines in factories which allowed mass production.
* Iron- Steam engines were used in the iron industry to manufacture iron, such as the steam hammer.
Thus, steam engines played a significant role in the industrialisation of Britain with the introduction and improvements in mining,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Production - Location & Change (view all)
- There are three different sectors within business. They are:...
- What is meant by the terms core and periphery?
- "The impact of the discovery of DNA on medicine, biotec...
- What are the main characteristics of high-tech (high technol...
- Why did Agriculture not share in the ‘boom’...
- With reference to located examples, explain how the exploita...
- with reference to 2 contrasting countries describe and expla...
- This essay is going to reflect changes on what I remember of...
- Case Study of Rural Rebranding by the Forestry Commission in...
- Oil and Gas industry in Kazakhstan
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.
""Chris Mckellar. Media Studies, IT, English. A Level Student.