- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The Past has Seen a Significant Increase in Eco-tourism:
The first 200 words of this essay...
The Past has seen a Significant Increase in Ecotourism:
Explain what is meant by the term.
Ecotourism is typically defined as travel to destinations where flora, fauna and cultural heritage are the primary attractions. Although other terms such as 'responsible tourism', 'sustainable tourism' and 'low impact tourism' are also used, eco-tourism is commonly used, referring to a niche market for environmentally aware tourists.
Ecotourism is an industry that attempts to make a low impact on the environment and local culture, while helping to generate income and employment. The term ecotourism was initially used to describe nature-based travel to relatively undisturbed areas with an emphasis on education. This term has developed to encompass ideas of planning, management and development of sustainable tourism products and activities together. There are six themes that have been identified in ecotourism policies:
* Distribution and character of tourist developments should be planned and controlled
* Surveys of resources and impacts should be carried out before development takes place
* Tourism should be integrated into other aspects of regional planning
* Local communities should be involved and given control
* The type of tourism appropriate to resources and environment should
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Global Interdependence & Economic Transition (view all)
- The Positive and Negative impacts of Tourism Development.
- Investigating Travel and Tourism
- Investigating Travel & Tourism
- TOURISM IN SPAIN.
- The UK travel and tourism industry
- (1b) Using named examples, evaluate the economic and politic...
- To what extent do Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) meet...
- How energy secure are we in the UK?
- It may seem that the spice trade in ancient times and modern...
- World Development Essay. The Role of Charities.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.