- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
What are the main characteristics of high-tech (high technology) industry? (b) Describe and explain the locational requirements of different types of manufacturing industry.
Are you in the right place?
Jump to Human Geography and see how teachers think you should prepare in:
The first 200 words of this essay...
(a) What are the main characteristics of high-tech (high technology) industry?
High-tech industries are more predominantly found as part of agglomeration economies, where they locate next to each other helping to link to other companies on site. The industry is mainly situated on sites that have room for further expansion so as the industry develops so can the size of firms. Therefore they are usually situated on Greenfield sites where there is more room for researchers for the industry. High-tech industries have to be easily accessed for both workers and for the imports and exports of goods. The techniques of this industry involve micro-electronics but can also include medical instruments, biotechnology and pharmaceuticals which all belong into the quaternary sector, demanding high inputs of information, expertise and research and development. They are footloose industries as they are not tied to their raw materials and therefore they can have a free choice of location. They mainly locate in areas of maximum profit e.g. the M4 and M11 corridors in England, where the different firms can exchange ideas and information.
(b) Describe and explain the locational requirements of different types of manufacturing industry.
India is a location
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Production - Location & Change (view all)
- Summarise the advantages and disadvantages of extracting Ala...
- Is deindustrialisation in the U.K an undesirable process?
- The developments that I think brought about Par's use of oin...
- Examine the causes and consequences of the rise of manufactu...
- To what extent was the iron industry 'transformed' between 1...
- With reference to located examples, explain how the exploita...
- with reference to 2 contrasting countries describe and expla...
- This essay is going to reflect changes on what I remember of...
- Case Study of Rural Rebranding by the Forestry Commission in...
- Oil and Gas industry in Kazakhstan
""Kim. Nursing, Mental Health, Psychology. University Student.
""Zoey. University Student.