- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
What is meant by the term Urbanisation?
The first 200 words of this essay...
1.) What is meant by the term Urbanisation?
Urbanisation is the process in which the number of people living in cities increases compared with the number of people living in rural areas. A country is considered to be urbanised when over 50% of its population lives in urban places. In the UK the movement of people from rural to urban areas followed the industrial revolution as people were needed to work in the factories in the CBD. It took place throughout the 19th and Early 20th Centuries in Europe and North America. By 1950 most of the people in these two continents lived in urban area. However their urbanisation was relatively slow, allowing government's time to plan and provide for the needs of increasing urban populations, in Less Economically Developed Countries urbanisation serves to be a much bigger problem and it is here where the world's largest cities are.
A range of economic, political, social, cultural, and environmental factors affect urbanisation. Government policies in many developing countries promote industrialisation and international capitalist economies. Urbanisation is encouraged socially and culturally through the media, and environmental factors such as the seasonality of agricultural work, may encourage urbanisation during the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Population & Settlement (view all)
- Problems In Tokyo.
- Unemployment In Pakistan.
- There are many problems facing rural areas in today's world.
- Functions of settlements - Differences between urban and rur...
- The Costs and Benefits of Urbanisation
- With reference to one or more located examples, examine how ...
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of studentificatio...
- Describe the fieldwork and research you would undertake in o...
- Analysis of Chinas One Child Policy
- Explain why student ghettos develop in some urban areas
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.
""Jackie Shanahan. Maths. A Level Student.