- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
What is meant by the term Urbanisation?
The first 200 words of this essay...
1.) What is meant by the term Urbanisation?
Urbanisation is the process in which the number of people living in cities increases compared with the number of people living in rural areas. A country is considered to be urbanised when over 50% of its population lives in urban places. In the UK the movement of people from rural to urban areas followed the industrial revolution as people were needed to work in the factories in the CBD. It took place throughout the 19th and Early 20th Centuries in Europe and North America. By 1950 most of the people in these two continents lived in urban area. However their urbanisation was relatively slow, allowing government's time to plan and provide for the needs of increasing urban populations, in Less Economically Developed Countries urbanisation serves to be a much bigger problem and it is here where the world's largest cities are.
A range of economic, political, social, cultural, and environmental factors affect urbanisation. Government policies in many developing countries promote industrialisation and international capitalist economies. Urbanisation is encouraged socially and culturally through the media, and environmental factors such as the seasonality of agricultural work, may encourage urbanisation during
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Population & Settlement (view all)
- Factors affecting rates of population change across the worl...
- Britain between 1750-1900
- How far do physical factors affect global population distrib...
- For my Travel and Tourism coursework I have chosen Marbella ...
- Case Study of Deprivation in a Rural Area - Cornwall
- Discuss the economic, social and political implications of t...
- To what extent do you agree with the statement: Decentralisa...
- Using examples, explain the challenges of rapid mega city gr...
- Evaluating China's One Child Policy
- Evaluate the success of one Urban Regeneration scheme or pol...
""Telim Dars. Chemistry, Physics and English Literature. A Level Student.
""Jacqueline. Modern Studies and English. GCSE Student