- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Why is Africa the least economically developed continent in the World?
The first 200 words of this essay...
Why is Africa the Least Economically Developed Continent in the World?
There are three main types of industry that people are employed in; Primary, Secondary and Tertiary. Primary industry involves the extraction or exploitation of natural resources e.g. Farming, fishing, mining and forestry. Secondary industry involves the manufacture of raw materials into saleable products, e.g. refineries, processors and manufacturing. Tertiary industry is the service sector, e.g. transport, sales and anything that offers anyone a service. The percentage of people employed in these different sectors can be used to suggest how developed a country is. If a country' main employment sector is Primary industry or subsistence farming the country is in Rostow's Stage 1 and is almost completely undeveloped. When a country begins to increase its Secondary and Tertiary sectors it is in Rostow's stage 2 and has begun to develop. Rostow's Stages carry on to stage 5 where the dominance of employment is in Tertiary Industry. To sum up Rostow's model, the higher percentage of people in a country employed in Primary industry, the less developed the country is, the higher the percentage of people employed in Tertiary industry the more developed it is.
This map shows the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Production - Location & Change (view all)
- There are three different sectors within business. They are:...
- Summarise the advantages and disadvantages of extracting Ala...
- This project is about the farming in the Bahamas. Areas we a...
- Plantation agriculture
- What is meant by the terms core and periphery?
- With reference to located examples, explain how the exploita...
- with reference to 2 contrasting countries describe and expla...
- This essay is going to reflect changes on what I remember of...
- Case Study of Rural Rebranding by the Forestry Commission in...
- Oil and Gas industry in Kazakhstan
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo