- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
With reference to one major biome you have studied, evaluate the role of human activity in modifying its characteristics
The first 200 words of this essay...
With reference to one major biome you have studied, evaluate the role of human activity in modifying its characteristics.
A biome is a large scale or global ecosystem where biotic and abiotic elements interact with eachother producing a stable system that is in equilibrium. An example of this is the hot, wet equatorial climate where tropical rainforest is the dominant vegetation. Here the biotic elements such as the trees and animals for example sloths interact with the abiotic elements such as the poor soils and hot climate. The rainforest is millions of years old and remained undisrupted and in equilibrium for much of this time. However, as people exploit the rainforests resources, in particular its valuable trees, the equilibrium is changing. With trees being cut down at a rate of 40 hectares per minute how can it not?
Why are they needed?
Tropical rainforests cover over 7% of the earth's surface and play an important part in maintaining environmental and climatic stability. They help reduce soil erosion, prevent flooding and as the trees hold the soil together they stop a loss of nutrients from the soil. Due to the large percentage of land they cover they
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Environmental Management (view all)
- How do humans affect the environment?
- The growth in international tourism is providing many LEDCs ...
- The impact of human activities on the environment
- Coastal Management strategies need to consider not only phys...
- Deforestation and its impact on the environment
- What Is Hydroelectricity? What are the Pros and Cons?
- (1a) Explain the classification of the selected energy resou...
- To what extent has the Three Gorges Dam project, in China, b...
- HOW PHYSICAL AND HUMAN FACTORS MAY HAVE MADE FLORIDA A CROWD...
- Economy Vs Environment. Development assumes economic growth...
""Gemma Haysman. Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Maths. GCSE Student.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.