- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Can CBT make a meaningful contribution in the treatment of schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and severe personality disorders? Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) for psychosis focuses on altering the thoughts, emotions, and behaviours
The first 200 words of this essay...
Can CBT make a meaningful contribution in the treatment of schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and severe personality disorders?
Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) for psychosis focuses on altering the thoughts, emotions, and behaviours of patients by teaching them skills to challenge and modify beliefs about delusions and hallucinations, to engage in experimental reality testing, and to develop better coping strategies for the management of hallucinations. The goals of these interventions are to decrease the conviction of delusional beliefs, and hence their severity, and to promote more effective coping and reductions in distress. This essay will attempt to assess the contribution of CBT to each of the disorders in turn by discussing reviews on efficacy, long term effects, compliance and cost, and then compare the outcome of CBT with alternative form of drug and therapy treatments.
Schizophrenia usually involves a dramatic disturbance in thoughts and feelings and results in behaviour that may seem odd to other people. Some people hear voices, others see things which are not there, or feel they are being persecuted. Some people only experience one episode of psychosis and some recover from schizophrenia. Over the past ten years the use of CBT for
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Healthcare (view all)
- Personal & professional development in Health & Soci...
- P3 explain factors that may influence communication and inte...
- Describe Health and Social Care Service Provision for looked...
- Abnormal Psychology - Bipolar Disorder
- Describe the cause of infection- infection prevention and co...
- Food Safety -unit 3 health and social care
- Describe the role of energy in the human body
- Unit 5 Anatomy and physiology in health and social care
- Unit 4 P4, P5 & D2. Development Through The Life Stages
- Improving access to sexual health services
- p1: explain the purpose and role of research for the health ...
- Understand why effective communication is important in the w...
- Promoting a healthy environment for children. Legislation a...
- Investigating Diseases. I will be looking at and comparing c...
- Describe physical, intellectual, emotional and social develo...
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Yoel Lax. Religious Studies. GCSE Student.