- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Cholera, Maleria, HIV & Aids, Tuberculosis - The Worldwide Importance of These Diseases
The first 200 words of this essay...
Cholera is an infectious disease cause by bacteria that affects the absorption of water in the small intestine. Sever cases cause violent diarrhoea. It is the huge amount of fluid loss, which makes cholera so dangerous. If the fluid is not replaced the body becomes dehydrated and you could die within twenty-four hours. Treatment of cholera is simple; replace the fluid lost with the right mixture of sugar and salts. Water alone is not very well absorbed. If it is a server case of the disease then admission to hospital may be suggest; they can then replace the fluids straight into the bloodstream via a drip.
Cholera is caused by a bacterium called Vibrio Cholerea. The bacterium begins to produce toxins when enough of the bacteria have accumulated in the stomach. It is the toxin produced that causes the disease. The toxin affects the cells of the gastrointestinal tract. This means the affected person does not have ordinary diarrhoea but also losses a large quantity of fluid along with it.
Cholera is transmitted through bacteria that are excreted in faeces. If the bacterium comes in contact with drinking water, then it can infect people. If you
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Healthcare (view all)
- In this essay I will be outlining key legislation and regula...
- Health and Social Care Unit 3 Health and Well being
- Theories of ageing p4 m2
- Choose two different types of vulnerable adult abuse and ass...
- How is anti-discriminatory practice is promoted in health an...
- Food Safety -unit 3 health and social care
- Describe the role of energy in the human body
- Unit 5 Anatomy and physiology in health and social care
- Unit 4 P4, P5 & D2. Development Through The Life Stages
- Improving access to sexual health services
- p1: explain the purpose and role of research for the health ...
- Understand why effective communication is important in the w...
- Promoting a healthy environment for children. Legislation a...
- Investigating Diseases. I will be looking at and comparing c...
- Describe physical, intellectual, emotional and social develo...
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.
""Zoey. University Student.