- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Describe the origins of public health in the UK
The first 200 words of this essay...
National Diploma Health and Social Care in Health Studies
Unit 12 Public Health
Task 1 Section 1B - P2 Describe the origins of public health in the UK
Sir Edwin Chadwick
Sir Edwin Chadwick was a social advocate or reformer in England who lived between 1800 and 1890. He's especially known for his work in the reform of the Poor Laws and also the improvements of sanitary conditions and public health. Chadwick strongly believed that if improvements to public health were made, it would save money.
Chadwick was employed by the Royal commission to enquire into the Poor Laws in 1982 and by 1983 was made a full member of the Royal Commission. Working with Nassau William Senior they drafted what was to be the famous report of 1834, which recommended the reform of the old Poor Laws. From their findings the 'Poor Laws Act' of 1834 was passed which lead to the reform of the country's poverty relief system, created a centralised system of public health and improve the sanitation of the general public. Another act which Chadwick had a part in, is the 'Public Health Act 1848'. The
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Healthcare (view all)
- Discuss difficulties that may arise when implementing anti-d...
- Health and Social Care Unit 3 Health and Well being
- Theories of ageing p4 m2
- In this essay I shall begin to justify how an ethical approa...
- In this essay I will be outlining key legislation and regula...
- Food Safety -unit 3 health and social care
- Describe the role of energy in the human body
- Unit 5 Anatomy and physiology in health and social care
- Unit 4 P4, P5 & D2. Development Through The Life Stages
- Improving access to sexual health services
- p1: explain the purpose and role of research for the health ...
- Understand why effective communication is important in the w...
- Promoting a healthy environment for children. Legislation a...
- Investigating Diseases. I will be looking at and comparing c...
- Describe physical, intellectual, emotional and social develo...
""Sabreena, England. A Level Student. Biology and Chemistry.
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.