- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
Human Biology Assignment One
Tissues by Victoria Jackson
Tissues are defined as a group of associated, similarly structured cells that with their ground substance act together in the performance of a specialised function for the survival of the multicellular organism. The tissues are classified into four main groups which are epithelial, connective, muscle and nervous.
(http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia accessed 08 October 2004)
Epithelial tissues form the covering of all body surfaces with the functions being to provide protective covering, absorption, secretion, diffusion, sensation and contractility. They are tightly packed together with little intercellular matrix and can be squamous (flattened or scale like), cuboidal (cube), or columnar (cylindrical or column like) in shape and may be arranged in single or multiple layers.
I have chosen to look more into Ciliated Columnar Epithelium;
This is a tall column like cell with a nucleus at the bottom near the basement membrane, with cilia and lots of cytoplasm above the nucleus. Examples of where this can be found are in respiratory tracts and the fallopian tubes. The cilia move together in a wave motion so mucus and other foreign particles are expelled. Goblet cells are usually present
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Healthcare (view all)
- Personal & professional development in Health & Soci...
- In this essay I will be outlining key legislation and regula...
- Unit 10 caring for children and young people
- How is anti-discriminatory practice is promoted in health an...
- Explain strategies used in health and social care environme...
- Food Safety -unit 3 health and social care
- Describe the role of energy in the human body
- Unit 5 Anatomy and physiology in health and social care
- Unit 4 P4, P5 & D2. Development Through The Life Stages
- Improving access to sexual health services
- p1: explain the purpose and role of research for the health ...
- Understand why effective communication is important in the w...
- Promoting a healthy environment for children. Legislation a...
- Investigating Diseases. I will be looking at and comparing c...
- Describe physical, intellectual, emotional and social develo...
""Sarah. Sociology, Politics, Economics, Psychology. University Student.
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.