- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Measuring pulse rate and temperature of a service user.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Every time the lower chambers of the heart contract, the blood in the left ventricle rushes upward into the aorta. It quickly speeds away from the heart causing the aorta to expand as it passes. As the blood races along, some of it pushes into the first artery that branches off from the aorta. Some of the blood enters the next artery.
The blood from each contraction of the heart produces a bulge in the artery. We call that bulge a pulse. One pulse equals one heartbeat.
The pulse can be felt anywhere an artery passes close to the skin. Common places to feel a pulse include the wrist, neck, temple, behind the knees, and on top of the foot.
Measuring the Pulse
To feel the service users pulse in the wrist, care workers should place index and middle finger over the underside of your opposite wrist, below the base of the thumb. Press firmly with flat fingers until you feel the pulse.
To feel the pulse on the neck, care worker should place index and middle finger just to the side of service user Adam's apple,
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Healthcare (view all)
- In this essay I will be outlining key legislation and regula...
- Personal & professional development in Health & Soci...
- How is anti-discriminatory practice is promoted in health an...
- Identify key aspects of legislation and guidelines relevant ...
- Describe the roles and responsibilities of staff in relation...
- Food Safety -unit 3 health and social care
- Describe the role of energy in the human body
- Unit 5 Anatomy and physiology in health and social care
- Unit 4 P4, P5 & D2. Development Through The Life Stages
- Improving access to sexual health services
- p1: explain the purpose and role of research for the health ...
- Understand why effective communication is important in the w...
- Promoting a healthy environment for children. Legislation a...
- Investigating Diseases. I will be looking at and comparing c...
- Describe physical, intellectual, emotional and social develo...
""John Plowright. Teacher. Repton School. Derbyshire.
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.