- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The Costs of Cigarette Smoking.
The first 200 words of this essay...
THE COSTS OF CIGARETTE SMOKING.
BY SUKAINA BANDALI.
Cigarette smoking causes a variety of life threatening diseases, including lung cancer, emphysema, and heart disease. In the UK about 120,000 people die each year due to smoking. A half of all smokers die from smoking related diseases.0
There are many ingredients in tobacco smoke which are harmful to our health in different ways.1
Some of the ingredients are tar, carbon monoxide, nicotine and other chemicals and additives such as ammonia, arsenic (a poison used in insecticides and weed killers), benzene, hydrogen cyanide and many other.2
Tar deposits on the lungs can cause lung diseases. Carbon monoxide and other chemicals reduces the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood and plays a significant role in the development of smoking-related heart disease and damaged various parts of the body such as blood vessels.3* Nicotine causes blood vessels to constrict, raises blood pressure, increases heart rate and increases the hearts demand for oxygen and it stimulates then nervous system.4 This is the ingredient that leads people to become addicted to smoking.5
Smoking has harmful effects on all parts of our body. Smoking during pregnancy reduces the amount of
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Healthcare (view all)
- Discuss difficulties that may arise when implementing anti-d...
- Theories of ageing p4 m2
- Health and Social Care Unit 3 Health and Well being
- In this essay I shall begin to justify how an ethical approa...
- In this essay I will be outlining key legislation and regula...
- Food Safety -unit 3 health and social care
- Describe the role of energy in the human body
- Unit 5 Anatomy and physiology in health and social care
- Unit 4 P4, P5 & D2. Development Through The Life Stages
- Improving access to sexual health services
- p1: explain the purpose and role of research for the health ...
- Understand why effective communication is important in the w...
- Promoting a healthy environment for children. Legislation a...
- Investigating Diseases. I will be looking at and comparing c...
- Describe physical, intellectual, emotional and social develo...
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.
""George Boustred English, Maths, Science, Resistant Materials, History, Music. GCSE Student