- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Neither Stalin, Khrushchev or Brezhnev successfully addressed fundamental economic problems which increasingly dogged the USSR after the Second World War How far do you agree with this statement?
The first 200 words of this essay...
"Neither Stalin, Khrushchev or Brezhnev successfully addressed fundamental economic problems which increasingly dogged the USSR after the Second World War" How far do you agree with this statement?
After the war, the USSR was destroyed both physically and economically. The challenge for Stalin therefore was to attempt to rebuild the USSR, particularly focusing on industry and the economy in order to ensure that Russia would remain a world superpower. By the end of Brezhnev's era however, the situation was very different. The country had undergone a period of stagnation whereby the economy had failed to improve and grow over his period in power. This was due to his lack of willingness to implement new policies in preference of a "period of stability". I would suggest that although Brezhnev achieved very little, changes were implemented under both Stalin and Khrushchev. However, these changes were often not always overly successful.
Stalin did attempt to address the economic damage that the war had caused and therefore try to rebuild the economy. One way in which he did this was to alter the systems in place already in order to tackle the new problems faced. For example, he addressed
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International History, 1945-1991 (view all)
- The Arab Israeli Conflict - source related study.
- Arab-Israeli Conflict Sources Questions
- The Soviet Union developed its influence in Eastern Europe i...
- The conclusion of the missile crisis was absolute proof that...
- The collapse of the USSR was caused by internal problems and...
- How far did peaceful coexistence ease Cold War tensions betw...
- The Cold War came to an end because the Soviet bloc was fata...
- German opposition to the Nazis 1939-45
- How far was the Cuban missile crisis the most significant e...
- How advantageous was the policy of detente to the management...
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.