- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
America In Vietnam, 1953-73
- Essay length: 7311 words
- Submitted: 11/07/2002
The first 200 words of this essay...
AMERICA IN VIETNAM, 1953-73
By 1973, the American President, Richard Nixon, had withdrawn all ground troops from South Vietnam under his programme of 'Vietnamisation' and during the summer, the American Congress passed an act over Nixon's veto, the War Powers Act, which removed Nixon's power to order the American Airforce to bomb NVA positions in Vietnam. THIS WAS THE END OF AMERICAN INVOLVEMENT IN VIETNAM!!
Since that time, people have asked why was one of the World's Superpowers effectively defeated(The US military deny defeat) by a pre-industrial peasant country.
AMERICA WAS FORCED TO WITHDRAW BY 1973 BECAUSE:
A. 1961-1968 The US government and military were losing the
war before the 1968 TET OFFENSIVE in South Vietnam
1. LACK OF PRESIDENTIAL COMMITMENT
President Johnson's Secretary of Defence, Robert McNamara, said in 1967 that American
aims in South Vietnam were,
"70% to avoid a humiliating US defeat. 20% to keep South Vietnamese territory from Chinese hands. 10% to permit the people of South Vietnam to enjoy a better, freer way of life.
Johnson did not want to lose Vietnam but also did
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International History, 1945-1991 (view all)
- How far do you agree with the view that World War II trigger...
- How far do you agree that the Cold War broke out in Europe b...
- The Cold War came to an end because the Soviet bloc was fata...
- The collapse of the USSR was caused by internal problems and...
- Why Did Stalin Build the Iron Curtain?
- How far was the Sino-Soviet split of the late 1960s the resu...
- How Far was the Sino-soviet split of the late 1960s the resu...
- Factors in the collapse of the USSR.
- Assess the importance of the Economy in changing the nature ...
- How far did peaceful coexistence ease Cold War tensions betw...
""Joanne Barratt. Nursing. University Student.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.