- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
The first 200 words of this essay...
4. Why did Britain and France adopt the "Appeasement" in dealing with aggression of the Axis powers in the 1930s and to what extent did such a policy lead to the outbreak of the Second World War.
Britain and France adopted the Appeasement in dealing with aggression of the Axis powers in the 1930s. The appeasement policy aimed at making concessions to aggressive nations for the sake of general peace at almost any cost. Britain and France were largely motivated by fear and lack of national will and the concessions were made at the expense of weaker countries to the aggressors. To a large extent, the appeasement policy led to the outbreak of the Second World War.
There were four reasons for Britain and France to adopt the Appeasement Policy. First of all, there was the fresh memory of the horror of the First World War. The War brought heavy casualties to both countries. The summation of the casualties in France and Britain was as high as 10 million. The War also caused massive destructions. To prevent another War, Britain and France were willing to maintain peace at all cost.
Besides, there was the
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International History, 1945-1991 (view all)
- Explain the Importance of D-Day As a Turning Point In Ww2.
- The collapse of the USSR was caused by internal problems and...
- Was the Korean War a Product of the Cold War tensions?
- World War One Sources Question
- In the period 1945-50, the USA and the USSR were equally agg...
- How far was the Cuban missile crisis the most significant e...
- How advantageous was the policy of detente to the management...
- To what extent can Stalins emergence as leader of Soviet Rus...
- Assess the reasons for the development of the Cold War
- Compare Sources A B and C as evidence that Churchill instiga...
""Salma Ahmed. Law and English. GCSE Student.
""Zoey. University Student.