- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
County of Edessa
The first 200 words of this essay...
County of Edessa
Edessa, located in Armenia, in Celicia, was the most important of the Armenian cities. On the Euphrates, the population was comprised of the Armenian faction (Separated Church) of the Eastern Church. It was actually under the rule of Constantinople, but was in the middle of the expansion of the Seljuk Empire.
It was overseen by the Armenian Thoros. He had captured it from the Turks in 1094. Having held it for two years, it was only because of the inability of the Turks to unite against him.
Tancred saw Edessa as his chance to cut himself a piece of real estate while his uncle Bohemond was busy with Antioch. But Baldwin of Bouillon (Godfrey's brother) has his eye on Edessa. His answer was to aquire it diplomatically.
Baldwin's wife and children had just died in Marash. Baldwin wasted no time. As Baldwin advanced into Ciecelia, Toros sent an embassy to Baldwin. Toros was old, barely holding his conquest, and was childless. The original deal had been to offer Baldwin the opportunity to serve under him, but Baldwin held out for the big prize. He then offered Baldwin all of Edessa. Toros would adopt
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International History, 1945-1991 (view all)
- Duality in Frankenstein
- The collapse of the USSR was caused by internal problems and...
- Explain the Importance of D-Day As a Turning Point In Ww2.
- Can War Be Justified?
- British Imperialism in India.
- How far was the Cuban missile crisis the most significant e...
- How advantageous was the policy of detente to the management...
- To what extent can Stalins emergence as leader of Soviet Rus...
- Assess the reasons for the development of the Cold War
- Compare Sources A B and C as evidence that Churchill instiga...
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.