- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Development of The Civil Right Movement's Tactics
The first 200 words of this essay...
In what ways did the campaign methods used by the Civil Rights movement in the southern states of the USA change and develop in the 1950's and the early 1960's .
During the early 1950's the Civil Rights movement started challenging de jure segregation in the South by legal means through organisations like the National Association of the Advancement of Coloured People (NAACP) .Realizing that the deep rooted nature of racism needed a more direct attack. The movement, guided by the peaceful principles of Martin Luther King, opted for non-violent direct action. As the movement gained experience it learned to manipulate the media, create situations where the federal government was forced into action and that mass action equals concessions .The broadening of the movement to include the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) and the Student Non-violent Coordination Committee (SNCC) revitalized it with a range of tactics ,from boycotts and sit-ins to marches and open challenges to segregation. Momentum gathered and the movement reached the height of it's watermark in the early 1960's.
Several legal cases such as the case of Brown V Board of education of Topeka were brought to the Supreme Court by leading black lawyer
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
History of the USA, 1840-1968 (view all)
- Asses the impact of Westward expansion on Native Americans
- To what extent was the impact of WW1 a key factor in the US ...
- Assess the Generalship of Robert E. Lee
- To what extent were Malcolm X and the subsequent Black Power...
- How influential was Theodore Roosevelt in American Politics ...
- 'Johnson alone bears the responsibility for the escalation o...
- How Successful Was Martin Luther Kings Campaign For Civil Ri...
- The Ku Klux Klan prevented African Americans from gaining ci...
- How much and why did President Truman help to promote racial...
- Causes of the radicalisation of the Civil Rights Movement
""Zoey. University Student.
""Dean Hil. l Media, Business, ICT, History and Sciences. University Student.