- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Early Jamestown: Why Did So Many Colonists Die? In early Jamestown, from 1607 to 1610, 452 colonists died even though Jamestown was supplied with 560 colonists.
The first 200 words of this essay...
"Early Jamestown: Why did so many colonists die?"
In early Jamestown, from 1607 to 1610, 452 colonists died even though Jamestown was supplied with 560 colonists. This leaves only 90 colonists left after the May of 1610. On May 14, 1607, colonists set off for Jamestown Island to build a settlement there. They did not know that there were close to 15,000 Powhatan Indians in the forest. Most people who came were from the ages of 17 to 35 years old. Some were servants that needed to pay off debt while others wanted to get profit from the project and would become successful. It did not come without loss since a near eighty percent of the population died or 452 colonists as mentioned before. The question of this mini-q is "Early Jamestown: Why did so many colonists die?" Many colonists died in early Jamestown because of their relations with the Native Americans, the environment and the settler's lack of skills.
Many colonists died in early Jamestown because of their horrible relations with the Native Americans. This is shown by document D which shows a trading incident between the Native Americans and the settlers. Francis
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Other Historical Periods (view all)
- Extended Essay: Bismarck and The Unification of Germany
- Reasons for Australian Federation
- Education in the Middle Colonies
- How far was the Provisional Government responsible for its o...
- How Important Were The Policies Of Gorbachev In Bringing An ...
- Stresemann controlling inflation was the main reason behind ...
- Russian History. A period of great achievement To what exten...
- How effectively did colonial governments respond to the rise...
- Gallipoli and Kokoda - comparing two battles fought by the A...
- The Roman Catholic Church was becoming increasingly unpopula...
""Nikolay. Business Studies. BTEC Student.
""Sabrina, Washington. IB English, History, Chemistry, Anthropology.