- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access from just £6.99 per month
Essay on Deir El Medina
The first 200 words of this essay...
Question: With specific reference to artefacts, tombs or inscriptions from Deir-El Medina comment on the role of the town and its inhabitants.
Archaeological and written sources, such as inscriptions, tombs and artefacts, have all contributed greatly to our knowledge of the social, religious and everyday life of the people who lived in Deir-El Medina, and also the role of the town and its inhabitants.
Archaeologists, such as Bernard Bruyere and Ernesto Schiaparelli have investigated the ancient site of Deir-El Medina, and have discovered vast amounts of information from the remnants that remain, as well as from the discoveries of papyri, ostraca, stellae and tombs that still remain intact.
Deir-El Medina was a small town on the western side of the Nile, situated under the Theban Peak; its purpose was to house the royal tomb workers or "servants in the place of truth." Deir-El Medina was a community of craftsmen, (such as; painters, stone masons, draughtsmen, scribes and sculptors) together with their families. The town was first established in 1567BC by Amenhotep I and his mother, and had a population of approximately 200 people at any one time. It was the role and profession of Deir-El
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £6.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
Other Historical Periods (view all)
- Extended Essay: Bismarck and The Unification of Germany
- Reasons for Australian Federation
- How successfully did the Labour governments of 1945-51 solve...
- Why did William win the Battle of Hastings?
- How far was the conservative government responsible for the ...
- How effectively did colonial governments respond to the rise...
- Gallipoli and Kokoda - comparing two battles fought by the A...
- The Roman Catholic Church was becoming increasingly unpopula...
- How accurate is it to say that the weakness of the Protestan...
- Why was Luther able to challenge the Catholic Church so succ...
""Waseem Hussain. Biology, Maths, Chemistry, ICT A Level Student.
""Yvette Agars. Senior History Teacher. Saint John's College. Whyalla S.A.