- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
Explain why there were such different reactions in the USA to the country's involvement in the conflict in Vietnamin the 1960s.
The first 200 words of this essay...
Explain why there were such different reactions in the USA to the country's involvement in the conflict in Vietnam in the 1960s.
Everyone in America had a different reaction to the Vietnam War. Some people supported the war because they feared Communism. They were afraid that if they did not stop the Communism in Vietnam, that type of government would affect all other countries. This was according to the Domino Theory. They thought that stopping the Vietnamese would be the correct and easy thing to do, but they were wrong.
Others did not support the war because they did not want to fight. They did not want the USA to be involved with something that was not their business. Wars meant death and they did not want this to happen to their fellow Americans.
These reactions were caused by different events in history. The turning point probably came during January 1968 with the Tet Offensive. The American public very well knew that they were winning the war. But when the Vietcong attacked and held the South Vietnamese cities and towns, the Americans began to question whether the war could be won at all.
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International History, 1945-1991 (view all)
- Duality in Frankenstein
- The collapse of the USSR was caused by internal problems and...
- British Imperialism in India.
- How significant was the presence of foreign powers as an inf...
- Can War Be Justified?
- How far was the Cuban missile crisis the most significant e...
- How advantageous was the policy of detente to the management...
- To what extent can Stalins emergence as leader of Soviet Rus...
- Assess the reasons for the development of the Cold War
- Compare Sources A B and C as evidence that Churchill instiga...
""Ruth, British Virgin Islands. University Student. Constitutional and Administrative Law.
""Lex Fawste. English, Biology, Physics, Maths, and Chemistry. A Level Student.