- Join over 1.2 million students every month
- Accelerate your learning by 29%
- Unlimited access for just £4.99 per month
How did the Vietnam War Have an Impact on Canada
The first 200 words of this essay...
How did The Vietnam War Impact Canada?
Submitted To: Miss Ledlow
Submitted By: Parth Bhatt
The Vietnam War was the most gruelling and unpopular war in America history. It resulted in nearly 60 000 American deaths and an estimated 2 million Vietnamese deaths.1 The war started in 1956 after Vietnam had gained its independence from France. Vietnam was temporarily divided between the north and the south. The south was anti-communist, and thus supported by the United States (US) and the North was a communist state, supported by The Union of Soviet Socialist Republics (USSR). In 1956, South Vietnam had denied to hold the unification elections. By 1958, the Viet Cong in the north had begun to attack the South Vietnamese Government. By 1966, America had employed 190,000 US troops in Vietnam. The indirect cost of the war had been 140 billion dollars while the estimated indirect costs of this war have been 900 billion dollars.The reason Canada did not go to war in Vietnam was because Canada did not adopt the Truman and Eisenhower Doctrines.2 Canada did not agree that communism must be actively opposed through foreign intervention. Instead, Canada held that
Found what you're looking for?
- Start learning 29% faster today
- Over 150,000 essays available
- Just £4.99 a month
Not the one? We have 100's more
International History, 1945-1991 (view all)
- The Soviet Union developed its influence in Eastern Europe i...
- The collapse of the USSR was caused by internal problems and...
- To what extent did the nuclear arms race make the world a mo...
- Disadvantages of Capitalism.
- Analysis of Political Cartoons
- How far was the Cuban missile crisis the most significant e...
- How advantageous was the policy of detente to the management...
- To what extent can Stalins emergence as leader of Soviet Rus...
- Assess the reasons for the development of the Cold War
- Compare Sources A B and C as evidence that Churchill instiga...
""Oliver Baldesare. National Sports Diploma. BTEC Student.
""Shailan, Leicester. A Level Student. Very useful for Biology and Chemistry, also great help in Econo